How to Apply
You can participate in a YFU Student Exchange program if you are:
Attend an Information Evening
Attend an Information Evening to ensure you and your parents are well informed about what’s involved in becoming a YFU exchange student.
Complete an Initial Application
Complete our Initial Application form. This will take just 30 minutes and get the process underway.
We will review your Initial Application and let you know if we have any further questions. We will liaise with our overseas partner to arrange conditional acceptance. An application fee of $100 is due at this stage.
When your conditional acceptance is confirmed we will arrange for a Local Coordinator to conduct an interview in your home at a mutually convenient time. This interview is designed to find out a bit more about your motivations and your ability to cope with the ups and downs of an exchange.
Complete the Full Application
When your interview has been successfully completed we will invite you to submit a Full Application.
We will send you an invoice. $750 is due at that stage and the balance is payable in 3 or 4 instalments thereafter.
Congratulations are in order! When your Full Application is received we will write to you to confirm you have a guaranteed placement.
Prepare to Depart!
Get ready for your departure. We will give you access to your online portal – the Departure Lounge – where you’ll find everything you need to get ready for your exchange.
We will arrange your pre-departure orientation and make sure you’re organised for the adventure ahead.
- An application fee of $100 with initial application (fully refundable if you are not accepted).
- $750 when you have received a guaranteed placement letter
- 3 or 4 instalments until full program fee is paid
- Full program fee must be paid at least 60 days before departure.
What is included in your program fee?
- Return economy international airfare on quality airlines to and from your nearest international airport unless otherwise stated in the program inclusions
- Return travel to and from your host family
- Comprehensive medical, accident, travel and public liability insurance
- School enrolment in host country
- Placement with a carefully screened and selected YFU Student Exchange volunteer host family (including selection and preparation of the host family)
- Pre-departure orientation and materials for students and parents and arrival and re-entry (before returning home) orientations
- 24/7 emergency number for use in the case of genuine emergencies
- Application and selection process including selection interview and discussion with your parents in your home if possible
- Assistance with visa process including provisions of documents (visa application fee not included)
- Welcome and Farewell Pack (YFU Student Exchange T-shirt, “The Guide” handbook about being a YFU Exchange student and other documentation)
- Professional individual support for you and your host family and your natural parents by staff and trained volunteers in your home country and in your host country
- Professional counselling (if required)
- YFU Student Exchange Welcome Home Pack
What is not included:
- Your personal spending money
- Visa processing costs
- Passport costs if you do not have a valid passport
- Excess luggage fees (if required)
- Intensive language camps or courses if needed and required by specific countries
- Domestic travel to and from your international departure airport