Host a Student
A Rewarding Experience for Everyone!
Hosting an exchange student can be one of the most memorable and rewarding experiences for your whole family. Being a host family means opening your home, hearts and minds to a young person from overseas.
YFU exchange students are eager to learn about Australia and improve their English language skills.
YFU exchange students are eager to learn about New Zealand and improve their English language skills.
Our host families are open minded, flexible, tolerant and have a sense of humour. They are keen to learn about another country and culture and share their own lives and experiences with their student. The most important requirements are to:
- make their exchange student feel genuinely welcome
- help the student become part of their family
- support the student through the ups and downs of their exchange
- immediately inform YFU of any issues affecting the safety and wellbeing of the student.
All host families are required to have Working with Children checks and sign a Code of Conduct.
Hosting is voluntary. There is no reimbursement for meals and lodging. This is a strict requirement of the Australian regulatory authorities.
You can host a student for either 2, 3, 5 or 10 months. They all arrive with a basic level of English and are expected to participate in daily chores around the house. They have travel insurance and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and bring spending money for incidentals like toiletries and outings etc.
A YFU Local Coordinator is assigned to each student and host family to act as the first level support for any questions or concerns that arise. Our professional staff are also available to assist and we encourage an open dialogue throughout the hosting experience.
How to become a YFU Host Family
If your family would like to become a host family, please make sure you meet the following requirements:
- The student must have their own bed but they can share a room with a host sibling of the same gender.
- The student must be provided with a place to study (can be the kitchen table) and three meals a day.
- All adult host family household members must have Working with Children checks and sign a Code of Conduct.
- Attend YFU events such as orientations which are an integral part of our exchange programs.
- Ensure that the student adheres to the YFU rules and their visa regulations.
If you are interested to find out more please complete the following form.