What Is Included
What is included in your program fee?
Your program fee includes:
- Return economy international airfare on quality airlines to and from your nearest international airport unless otherwise stated in the program inclusions
- Return travel to and from your host family
- Comprehensive medical, accident, travel and public liability insurance
- School enrolment in host country
- Placement with a carefully screened and selected YFU Student Exchange volunteer host family (including selection and preparation of the host family)
- Pre-departure orientation and materials for students and parents in Australia and New Zealand and arrival and re-entry (before returning home) orientations in host country
- YFU Student Exchange 24 hours emergency number for parents in Australia and for students in your host country
- Application and selection process including selection interview and discussion with your parents in your home if possible
- Assistance with visa process including provisions of documents (visa application fee not included)
- Welcome and Farewell Pack (YFU Student Exchange T-shirt, “The Guide” handbook and other documentation)
- Professional individual support for you and your host family and you natural parents by staff and trained volunteers in Australia and New Zealand and in your host country
- Professional counselling (if required)
- YFU Student Exchange Welcome Home Pack including evaluation of your experience
- Goods and Services tax
What is not included:
- Your personal spending money
- Visa processing costs
- Passport costs if you do not have a valid passport
- Excess luggage fees (if required)
- Intensive 4 week language camps if needed and required by specific countries
- Domestic travel to and from closest international airport of departure from Australia or New Zealand
- An application fee of $100 with initial application (only fully refundable if you are not accepted for a YFU Student Exchange program by YFU in Australia / New Zealand or overseas)
- $750 when you have completed the full application, been interviewed and received a guaranteed placement letter. (cancellation fees may apply)
- Monthly payments until full program fee is paid
- Full program fee is to be paid 60 days before departure. (cancellation fees may apply)
Where does the money go?
YFU Student Exchange is a “not for profit” organisation in both Australia and New Zealand. All program fees are used to cover the costs of providing programs in Australia and New Zealand and in our partner countries. While the breakdown of costs varies slightly for the length of exchange program, the average breakdown of costs are as follows:
37% of program costs for travel and insurance, including:
- Return international travel on reputable airlines with minimum stop over times
- Domestic travel to host family in host country
- Airport transfers and assistance with check-in
- Comprehensive travel, liability, medical and accident insurance with and Australian company with a worldwide network to ensure ease of contact and smooth processing of claims.
40% of program costs for the placement and support of students in the hosting country, including:
- Recruitment and screening of volunteer host families
- Recruitment and training of local coordinators and support people
- Organisation of school enrolments, arrival, pre-departure and re-entry orientations
- Provision of resource materials and handbooks for students and families
- Contribution to provision of full time professional staff and 24 hour emergency support
23% of program costs for the recruitment selection of students in Australia and New Zealand for their exchange program, including:
- Student and family interviews
- Provision of pre-departure orientations and student handbooks for students and their parents
- Processing of student applications and liaison with hosting partners over student placement and travel arrangements
- Maintenance of 24 hour emergency support for parents while student is overseas
- Contribution to general administration costs and the provision of full time professional staff to support students in the application process, and their parents while they are on exchange
Cancellation & Refund Policy
- If YFU is unable to accept the student’s Initial Application, or our partners cannot guarantee the student a place in their country of choice, there will be a full refund of the $100.00 initial application fee.
- If the student or their parents cancel their application at any time, after submission of the initial application there will be no refund of the $100.00 initial application fee, unless the student wishes to choose another country.
- If YFU has to cancel the student’s application after submission of the Acceptance Application and payment the $750.00 deposit, there will be full refund of the $750.00 deposit.
- If the student or their parents cancel the student’s application after submitting an Acceptance Application and paying the $750.00 deposit, there will be no refund of the $750.00 deposit.
- If the student or their parents cancel more than 60 days (2 months) before the schedule departure date, there will be a full refund, less $1000.00.
- If the student or their parents cancel less than 60 days (2 months), but more than 14 days (2 weeks) before the scheduled departure date, there will be a full refund, less $2000.00.
- If the student or their parents cancel less than 14 days (2 weeks) before the schedule departure date, 50% of the full program fee will be refunded.
- If the student leaves or is dismissed from the program after the scheduled date of departure, there will be no refund of the program fee.