What is Hosting?
Hosting a YFU secondary school exchange student gives your family the opportunity to share your home and family life with a YFU exchange student from up to 60 countries around the world.
You can host a student for either 2, 3, 5 or 10 months and discover a different culture and help them to discover Aussie for Kiwi culture and its traditions and practices. Our host families are people who are open minded, tolerant and keen to experience another culture and different ways of thinking.
Who are the exchange students?
YFU exchange students are aged between 15 and 18 years. They have deliberately chosen to come to Australia or New Zealand and have had to go through a rigorous selection process to gain a place from the many hundreds of other applicants. They have made a definite decision that they want to learn about Aussie or Kiwi culture and to increase their skills in English through living and learning with us.
How do you become a YFU Host Family?
In selecting families to host, YFU Student Exchange seeks to ensure that your family is willing to:
- Learn about other cultures
- Offer a welcoming and caring environment for our student
- Treat the student as another member of your family with the same rules, privileges and approaches to discipline and responsibilities as other children in the family
- Be open minded and flexible and patient in helping our student adjust to Aussie or Kiwi culture particularly at the beginning of exchange
- Ensure that the student respects and follows the YFU Student Exchange program rules in terms of activities and behaviour
Five great reasons to host a YFU Student Exchange student:
- Gain a daughter or son for life!
- Experience a new and exciting family dynamic
- Give your family a new perspective on your community
- Change forever how your family thinks about the world
- Build bridges of understanding between cultures