Who is YFU?
Youth For Understanding (YFU) Student Exchange is an independent, non-profit, non-sectarian, volunteer-based organisation dedicated not just to international exchange for young people, but through them, the interchange and sharing of ideas, attitudes and mutual respect.
YFU Student Exchange was originally established in the United States in 1951 to build friendship between the youth of the United States and Germany after the Second World War. The program was an immediate success and has expanded to 60 countries worldwide.
YFU Student Exchange started in Australia over 30 years ago in 1977, when a group of interested people joined together to promote the benefits of an international exchange experience. YFU Student Exchange is approved as a student exchange organisation by Education Departments in every State and Territory in Australia.
YFU Student Exchange has successfully exchanged more than 250 000 students worldwide and has been praised by many organisations and governments for its contribution to world peace and intercultural understanding.
The strength of the YFU network of which YFU Student Exchange Australia is part are the worldwide quality standards in program management supported by an International Secretariat which monitors all our programs.
Daily communication among the YFU organisations occurs though an inter-office intranet which links all YFU National offices around the world. This ensures that there is very timely and high quality professional support for students, their host families and their natural parents at all times.
“Make the World your Home”
YFU advances inter-cultural understanding, mutual respect and sound responsibility through education exchanges for youth, families and communities.
Why Go on Exchange with YFU?
- Over 60 years experience in achieving international understanding through exchange
- A global network working to internationally agreed-upon quality program standards
- A not-for-profit worldwide organisation, with a network of highly experienced and trained staff and volunteers to advise and support students and families in every country
With such a network YFU can provide you with:
- A guarantee of country of choice
- A carefully screened host family according to our worldwide standards
- A strong support network to help you with any difficulty you may experience while on exchange
- A trained and dedicated local support person to assist and advise you while on exchange
- An immersion experience with an educational focus rather than a travel experience
Our National Office and Staff
Our Australia head office is in North West Sydney. Our staff is very experienced in all the educational and cultural aspects of student exchange. They have lived or worked overseas, been host families to exchange students or participated in exchange programs and speak a number of languages. They will provide expert advice and help with any questions or issues you or your parents may have.
Our Coordinators and Volunteers
YFU Student Exchange Australia has a network of volunteers across Australia. In each state there is a State Coordinator and local coordinators who organise host family and outbound student interviews and YFU Student Exchange orientations and other social activities for students, host families, natural families and plan and arrange orientations and other activities.
All our volunteers are very experienced in student exchange. They have all been involved with exchange programs as a participant, a host family or as a natural parent of an exchange student. They are highly trained in supporting and advising families and students. Such experience and training means YFU Student Exchange provides expert advice and support for natural parents, exchange students, host families and to teachers and schools.
Our staff and volunteers in every YFU Student Exchange organisation around the world have similar experience and expertise in supporting students through in country orientations and through regular contact with students and their host families.
Our Service Guarantee to You
- Provide you with a quality exchange program based on timely and professional advice and support at all stages of the program from the time you enquire until you return home
- Support your natural parents, throughout your exchange with friendly and timely responses to their queries and concerns
- Maintain our 24/7 emergency phone to support natural parents, host families, volunteers and students in times of difficulty. Help is always a phone call away in any YFU Student Exchange organisation anywhere in the world
- Ensure staff and volunteers are open and honest in all their communication and dealings with students, host families, natural parents and with one another in accordance with YFU Australia Code of Conduct policy
- If any of our staff or volunteers do not meet this service guarantee please email email@example.com