Get Involved With YFU
Become a Community Coordinator
Would you like to:
- Meet new people?
- Learn about other cultures?
- Make friendships with people from other countries?
- Be more involved in your local community?
Then become involved with YFU Student Exchange and join the thousands of YFU Student Exchange community coordinators around the world who give of their time, and abilities to make our programs a success for our students and their natural and host families.
Perhaps you are an exchange returnee or a parent or host parent of an exchange student and want to help give other students the exiting opportunity of exchange. Perhaps you are someone (parent, teacher, semi-retired person or university student) who believes in the value of exchange for students, and your community in Australia.
So if you have a few spare hours per week there are many ways you can become involved in YFU Student Exchange in Australia. These include:
- Meeting and greeting and assisting students with check-in and transfers at airports
- Helping at inbound and outbound student and host family orientation or camps (once or twice a year)
- Interviewing student applicants and their families before departure
- Helping to find potential host families
- Interviewing host families
- Checking (phone/email or visit) one a month on how the student and family are enjoying the experience
- Providing support (a sympathetic ear or shoulder to cry on) to students and host families in your local area
- Assisting at or conducting information sessions and other student recruitment activities in your local community or local schools
- Helping promote YFU Student Exchange programs through media and public relations activities
YFU Student Exchange reimburses volunteers for expenses involved in supporting our students and our programs. Community Coordinators are fully covered by YFU Student Exchange’s insurance while involved with YFU Student Exchange activities. Training is provided in all aspects of various roles.
Join us today in promoting and supporting our international exchange programs by completing our Community Coordinator Application Form.
To learn more phone us on 1800 654 947 (free call in Australia) during office hours or complete the Community Coordinator Enquiry Form.
“What started our some years ago when we decided to host a short term Japanese student has become an involvement I would never have envisaged and I certainly would not change for anything. I became a community coordinator for YFU ten years ago, assisting where ever needed with host families and their students. Thank you YFU. Without this involvement I know my life would not have been the same!”
Chris – Perth, Western Australia
“I cannot fully explain what being a community coordinator with YFU has meant to me and other coordinators – It means so much. It has helped in changing young peoples’ lives to be more rewarding and stimulating. It has helped families to explore new horizons and to venture abroad to re-unite with their former students and their families. It has been many things to many people, so if you are thinking of being a YFU community coordinator – go for it. You won’t regret it.”
Sydney – Keilor Downs, Victoria